ICAC Holds Annual Meeting in Hilton Head, South Carolina
Friday, May 08, 2015
Posted by: Allison Yeates
A Message From ICAC President, Stan Mack
I’d like to personally thank each of one of you who participated in the 2015 ICAC Annual Meeting and helping make it a wonderful success. It was an exciting time as we had the opportunity to collaborate, network, and become more fully aware of the issues buffeting our industry. We added new educational programs and ways to enhance your networking opportunities. I’d also like to thank those of you who responded to our call as to how to make our time together at this meeting more rewarding for everyone. The Board will take all of these comments and create an experience next year that will offer even greater opportunities for our members.
Our members are confronting many changes, and our speakers did a magnificent job of laying the framework for issues such as:
1. Legal challenges to environmental regulations in federal courts
2. Government funding (or lack thereof) for clean coal initiatives
3. New rules being promulgated for the oil and gas industry
4. How the Clean Power Plan is impacting local utilities
5. What's wrong with the Clean Air Act and can it be changed
6. How state regulators are addressing the large volume of regulations
Being there and participating at the Annual Meeting is vital to the effectiveness of the ICAC. That was evident this year, and as we move through the time before our next Annual Meeting, the Board is focused on providing you more ways to enhance your connection to those who greatly impact your business. You, as organization leaders, have the vision, the knowledge, the wherewithal, and the experience to help us pave our way into the future. You are truly our greatest asset today and tomorrow, and we could not accomplish what we do without your support and leadership. Please pay attention to each weekly Executive Update because we are going to be offering you the opportunity to help shape the future of technology in many different ways.
In closing, on behalf of your Board, I’d like to thank each of your for attending our conference and bringing your expertise to our gathering. My personal respect and thanks goes out to all of you.
President of the ICAC Board of Directors
ICAC 2015 Annual Meeting Recap
We thank those of you who attended the ICAC 2015 Annual Meeting in Hilton Head, South Carolina! This year’s event was a huge success with nearly one hundred participants in attendance.
Attendees received the most up-to-date information on current issues facing the Air Pollution Control industry while mingling with colleagues and industry representatives during the evening receptions. Top highlights outlined below:
Annual Meeting Roundtable Presentations –After the Board of Directors meeting on Wednesday, ICAC held a Roundtable entitled “Understanding the Impacts of Regulations” with the overall objective of how to balance your business’s bottom-line with governmental regulations.
Notable Thursday Event Speakers:
- Jeff Holmstead, Attorney, Bracewell & Giuliani – “Overly Ambitious? A Realistic Look at What EPA Will Actually Accomplish in the Next 2 Years”
- Mark Svrcek, Chief Operating Officer & Sr. VP of Corporate Strategy, Central Electric Power Cooperative, Inc. – “Proposed Clean Power Plan Projected Impacts on South Carolina Consumers”
- Vince Brisini, Director of Environmental Affairs, Olympus Power, LLC – “Practical Issues of CO2 Regulation using the Clean Air Act”
- Tomás Carbonell, Senior Attorney, US Climate & Air Program, Environmental Defense Fund – “New Horizons in Protecting Public Health and Climate Under Existing Federal Law”
- Clint Woods, Executive Director, Association of Air Pollution Control Agencies – “New Developments in Cooperative Federalism and the Clean Air Act”
- Myra Reece, Air Bureau Chief, South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control – “The Need for Clean Air Act Reform”
- Janet Gellici, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, National Coal Council – “Fossil Forward – Revitalizing CCS”
Speaker presentations are posted on the ICAC website.
Friday Annual Membership Meeting –ICAC officers (Stan Mack, Michael Corvese, Joe Stehn) provided reports. Stan led off with a review of ICAC’s activities and accomplishments in FY 2015, followed by report updates by Betsy Natz, ICAC Executive Director, Rich Hovan, Michael Corvese, and Joe Stehn.
General Divisions Meeting – At the General Divisions Meeting, Doug Austin led the attendees through past and upcoming division activities, with assistance from the Division Chairs, Angelos Kokkinos, GHG Division; Angelos and Mark Burns, Power Division; Sheila Glesmann and Rich Mimna, Mercury Control Division; Cindy Khalaf, NOx Control Division; Bob Davis, Emissions Measurement Division; and Karl Walby, Industrial Source Division. We thank each of our division chairs for their insight and leadership throughout the year.
Persons of the Year Awards at the 2015 Annual Meeting:
- Sheila Glesmann, ADA Carbon Solutions LLC
- Karl Walby, Dürr Systems Inc.
- Angelos Kokkinos, Babcock Power